We’ve streamlined the registration process to be as easy as possible for today’s busy families. In general, it takes about 8-10 weeks from the time of registration until an overseas au pair can arrive to your home. Here’s how it works:
Steps to becoming a host family
1. Submit our online host family registration
Providing us with details on your family allows us to find the best match for you. Once your registration is complete, your placement manager will contact you to begin the matching process and your local childcare consultant will contact you to schedule an in-home interview during which she will review the program in more depth with you and your family.
2. Find the right au pair for your family
As a host family, you can either rely on your placement manager to look for suitable au pair candidates on your behalf or search online yourself using our Search and Select functionality. You may reserve as many as three applications in your account at a time which are there for you to review exclusively. Once you find a candidate you are interested in, the next step is to interview her over the phone.
Our team can help coordinate interview calls with anyone you wish to interview and provide guidance as you get closer to choosing a final candidate. Throughout the matching process, we also encourage you to continue adding information to your host family registration. The more information you share about your family and expectations, the easier the matching process will be. Once you have decided on your final candidate, both parties will agree on an arrival date and we’ll get to work on travel arrangements!
3. Prepare for your au pair’s arrival
Once you’ve chosen your au pair, Cultural Care Au Pair will take care of your au pair’s travel and visa arrangements, and your local childcare consultant (LCC) will complete an interview with you in your home to make sure all of your questions have been answered. Cultural Care Au Pair also provides a number of additional resources to ensure you are prepared to welcome your au pair.
Complete in-home interview
Before your au pair arrives to your home, your local childcare consultant will also complete a family interview in your home, during which time she or he will answer questions and share advice for the year ahead. You can rely on support from staff in our Boston office both before your au pair arrives and during your year.
Through your online account, you can access:
- Information about your au pair’s home country
- Your au pair’s travel itinerary
- A copy of the U.S. Department of State program regulations
- Cultural Care’s customizable Household Handbook with which you can create a set of guidelines to help your au pair understand your family rules, routines and emergency procedures
- InfoSource, a searchable online database designed to help answer your questions and provide helpful tools day or night
You will also receive a welcome packet from us in the mail including:
- A welcome letter with your au pair’s information and the contact information for your local childcare consultant (LCC)
- Our Host Family Handbook that outlines your program responsibilities and shares insightful tips to help make your upcoming year a success
- Our Daily Communication Log that offers an effective calendar format for you and your au pair to share information with one another during the week
- Safety information for you to review with your au pair once she arrives
To get started, register now!